This art activity uses recycled materials to create a quick, simple, and messes free melodious music maker- Maracas!
- Cardboard toilet paper roll
- Colored paper
- Glue stick
- Dry pasta, beans or rice
How does it work?
- Set the toilet paper roll on the colored paper.
- Carefully use a pencil to draw the dimensions of the roll-on paper. It’s okay if the paper is longer than the roll—you’ll just glue over it.
- Let your child cut out the colored paper along your penciled lines.
- Glue the colored paper on the toilet paper roll.
- Encourage your child to draw and cut out fun shapes, designs, and fringes from other sheets of colored paper.
- Have her glue her decorative pieces on the roll.
- Help your child make “caps” for her homemade maraca out of the colored paper. The caps should be slightly larger than the paper roll openings.
- Put a small amount of glue around one end of the paper roll.
- Place one cap gently over the glued end.
- Let your child add beans, pasta, or rice into the paper roll.
- Glue the cap on the other end. Wait for your maraca to dry.
- Give your maraca shake! How does it sound?